2005-06-27

More bogo-translations

Someone asked me who wrote one of my signature lines:

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae, a han noston ne 'wilith.

I replied that it was written by David Salo, and said by Cate Blanchett. In the book, it's Treebeard who says it, and in the Common Speech:

The world is changing; I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, I smell it in the air.

But the point of this posting is to show off two bogo-translations of the Sindarin version into English, made by members of the Conlang list:

  • I am priester than a priest, I have not run one marathon, and I do not wish to run the marathon, for I prefer to stay in my village.
  • I am one bitter priest, I have not a single mathom, I have no mathom to keep, and I have an unwilting mind.

No comments: