2005-05-06

A strange semantic experience

Because the microwave on my floor was busy some weeks back, I walked up to the next floor to use their (identically located) microwave. I met there a colleague, who thought I had come to his floor to see him because of some work-related problem. He said "Oh, I thought you came down here to [etc etc etc]".

As a result, the bit in my head telling me how to get back to my own floor was flipped, and I walked up (further) to the next floor. Only when I got to "my" cube (since all the floors are essentially alike) did I realize what had happened.

"Turning the world on its head with a single word! Eloquent guy!" --Terje Bless

1 comment:

Arthaey Angosii said...

Greetings, ex-Lord of Instrumentality. :)

I have been similarly confused by people talking about driving "down" north or "up" south. I often have to do a double-take to be clear about what they mean. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has such issues!